September 30, 2012

CAD or hand drawings?

First project is over! Pictures and drawings will be up shortly. Second project was quickly issued before we even finished pinning-up our first project.

One issue I noticed during the last two weeks of the project is that a lot of the students were, and still are, struggling to decide between hand drawings or doing work on a CAD software. As students progress through the program, I've noticed a lot less hand drawings and a lot more computer work. I love, love hand drawings and I often do a hybrid of computer work and hand drawings in projects. After asking around, most students tend to fall back on what they know, especially during crunch time and the deadline quickly approaching. I can't really blame them. It comes down to turning-in work you know you can produce or risk turning in something you may not complete. I do admire my classmates ambition when they attempt to produce work with a foreign tool. I'll stay behind after studio to show my classmates how to model certain issues in their projects or even teach them bits and pieces of a program they don't know. I can gladly say they are quick learners.

I'm not here to say you should use this rather than that. I do feel hand drawing isn't utilized as much these days and is a very important communication tool to learn and use. But, I also feel the evolution of architecture is dependent on technology and the software is nothing more than just another tool in the bag to use as a conduit to best express an idea. I know a lot of older professors curse the use of computers in architecture, but I'm sure the majority of us wouldn't want to visit a doctor if the doctor was taught and practices the same medical practice used in the 1950's.

No comments:

Post a Comment